and now I've lost my bank too

...which may not be a problem since I seem on the verge of losing my job.

I made a point of putting all my money in Hibernia, because it is a New Orleans based regional bank. No more. Beginning in the New Year, it will become Capital One Bank. The notoriously awful credit card company has taken over. Capital One made its fortune and name by offering high interest credit cards--$40 annual fees for $300 credit at 23%. So I'll be withdrawing all of my money and transfering to another bank.

Of course, even if Hibernia remained independent I'd be stuck. The branch nearest to my house is the one remaining building on a block that burned down and the branch that I opened the account at lies on the border of the lower Ninth and St. Bernard Parish. I doubt Capital One will be opening either of them anytime soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Ken,
You are really an entertaining writer.
I recommend Fidelity Homestead if you are looking for a local bank that has local folks working for it, will never sell your mortgage and -- get this -- has a shelf of books in every branch for loan to members ONLY.
Thanks for a fun blog.
Alana

Popular Posts