Wednesday, January 20, 2010
It has been so busy that I'm only now posting the events for this week, which marks the 3rd anniversary of the march to city hall in 2007. On Monday afternoon, I posted the first Crime Happened Here sign, with details of my mugging in October. And, of course, its already been taken down. You get the signs at Sound Cafe. Meanwhile, here are the other events of the week:
Monday January 18th at 7pm
Mayoral Forum; Goody's restaurant, 3200 St. Claude Avenue
Join moderator Lee Zurik and The Stooges Brass Band for a forum asking candidates for details on their plans to address crime and community safety.
Tuesday January 19th
Vigil for Victims of Violence, held by United for Peace in New Orleans. Claiborne Avenue at Martin Luther King Boulevard, 7AM-7PM
Wednesday January 20th at 7pm
Antenna Gallery, 3161 Burgundy Street, New Orleans, LA
Antenna Gallery will present the Canadian documentary "After the Storm," about the life and death of Helen Hill; plus a short documentary on the Hot 8 Brass Band and the SilenceIsViolence youth music clinics.
Thursday January 21st
PEACE WALK and evening vigil led by the
Social Aid and Pleasure Club Task Force
START: City Hall, 6PM
Friday January 22nd:
* Victims’ Memorial, City Hall: Homicide victims lost in New Orleans during the past year will be memorialized at noon.
* WEAR RED wherever you are.
* Youth Resource Picnics: Lyons Playground (Delachaise Street at Tchoupitoulas) and Bunny Friends Playground (Desire Street at S. Prieur Street), 11AM-3PM
* 5% Pledge by local businesses around New Orleans
* Soccer in the Streets: Skills at City Hall, 9AM
* Peace Motorcade: Location and time TBA. Led by Nakita Shavers in memory of Dinerral Shavers and Helen Hill