Saturday, September 06, 2008

Another Gustov stray

Bandit, named after Vicki Hearne's dog, was among the pack that included Harold and Maude. After vetting them and dropping them off for boarding, I returned to the lower ninth ward and found Bandit waiting for me. I put food down on the street and after eating, he ran over and buried his head in my lap. Like Harold and Maude, he is heartworm positive. If anyone can help toward their treatment, please make a contribution to The Sula Foundation.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Dogs roaming the streets of New Orleans

While the storm wasn't as bad as we feared, there are still lots of dogs running loose in New Orleans. This morning I picked up a black female Old English (I think?) bulldog and with her a white male bulldog. The female was in particularly bad shape, with bite marks on one side of her face. The male was wearing a tag that belonged to a black lab that was lost during Katrina. They are both heartworm positive--and incredibly friendly.

I'm still electricity my posts will be infrequent.

Thursday, September 04, 2008


We're home, but there's no electricity in Holy Cross. Still, the dogs are happy to be home and so am I. Power lines are down all over our area, with no sign of anyone picking them up, let alone reconnecting them to the grid.

Meanwhile, you can entertain yourselves with this interview from NPR, which showed up on my doorstep Sunday as I loaded the dogs into the car.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Waiting is the hardest part...

The St. Louis Beacon asked me to write about what it is like the second time around. Here it is.

Monday, September 01, 2008

The latest on Gustav and the pit bulls left behind

Just a quick update, via a borrowed computer. The dogs and I left yesterday around 1pm. As I loaded them into the car, an NPR reporter pulled up to interview us, including recording some thoughts from Brando on the whole ordeal. They asked what it was I wanted to save from possible flood waters, and I mentioned a painting of a pit bull by Sandy Chism. I couldn't decide if it would be safer downstairs, where it might flood, or in the attic, where the roof might blow off. It ended up in the car, with the real pit bulls.

Our initial plan was to head to north Alabama. But it took eight hours to get just 100 miles away. So we ended up in Tylertown, Mississippi, along with Dag and Grover and a bunch of other dogs. The storm hit this morning, with tornado warnings in every direction, so here we stay.

The night before we left, I tracked an abandoned female pit through the lower ninth, trying to catch her, not knowing where I would put her if I did. I also got email with a photo of two pits abandoned on a balcony. But the most shocking, disappointing, distressing news was an email from SAWA and the SPCA of Texas, announcing they'd already resuced 300 animals and assuring potentional adoptors that none were pit bulls. In bold.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Evacuating New Orleans, again

I just boarded up my house and I have the food and clothes packed. But since I know from experience that it may be some time before we return, I keep finding little errands to distract me from the main event.

It looks like Gustav will hitting Louisiana hard, although this time the West Bank is the target. Still, the heavy rains will no doubt produce some flooding. The city is pretty quiet, as people have been packing and taking off for days. The fact that it is Labor Day weekend helped, since many already had plans to go somewhere.

I had no plans to go anywhere for a very long time, so I'm having a hard time with this.

Friday night I lent a crate to some people down the street who needed a way to get T Bone on the bus. They had recently moved from Michigan and had no experience with hurricanes. Yesterday I helped to distribute pet carriers around town. That's when I started feeling immobilized with anxiety.

I had reservations to the west and to the east. The west is no good now, and the days are booked are too soon to get us through the whole storm, so the dogs and I will now leave and perhaps stay a night in Tylertown before heading to a park in Alabama where we have a reservation in a cabin on the lake.