Thursday, February 07, 2008

The problem with Hillary

A couple of people have asked why I'm not supporting Hillary Clinton. And I've avoided answering it, because...well, because I just don't even want to acknowledge her I guess. The truth is I voted for her for Senate in New York. And I quickly saw that she was willing to reverse her positions any time it was convenient for her career. I wrote to her expressing my disappointment on a number of issues, including the war. I didn't expect a reply, but was shocked to be put on a "Friends of Hillary" email list that sent frequent, frequent updates on her activities. I asked to be removed, more than once, and I still get them today.

Then, in 2004, I was working as a volunteer on another campaign and got to see first hand the really sickening, self-serving and destructive tactics of the Clinton machine. And it was then that I knew I would never be able to vote for her again.

More recently, she's been outright lying not only about her own record, but also about Obama's. Here's a video in which a former Clinton team member describes how they intentionally told lies about Obama's record on women's rights:


It's an old political tactic. Release misinformation just before an important vote, then distance yourself from the claim later.

Now I'll get back to some more innocuous blogging.

1 comment:

eve m. russell said...

Hm. For being a self-professed agent of change, she's sure implementing a lot of Rovian tactics.

Sí se puede, homeboy.