My nightmare night


I knew that eventually, the whole experience at Tulane last week would catch up with me and I'd have an emotional reaction, delayed like it is after a near-fatal car accident.

This moment came, like clockwork, in the middle of the week, in the middle of the night. I woke up from a deep sleep and found Brando motionless beside me. I was convinced he was dead, and that he was dead because I had failed to remember to give him his medication. The merger of dream and reality was so tight that it took several minutes to realize that none of this was actually happening. Brando was asleep, and he isn't on any medication. Still, I had a hard time shaking it.

Comments

I had a dream the other night that I was traveling and my dog had been left somewhere unsafe and died. When I woke up I couldn't shake the feeling of seeing her dead.
lisa said…
I used to have those with Bumpy as he got older. They scared the hell out of me. He's been gone almost a year now and I still have them, and they still scare me. I wish it were all a dream.

Popular Posts