My brief stop at the unemployment office

I stopped by the unemployment office today to see if there was anything I needed to do beyond the online application. There is only one office open in the city, so people have to come from all over to apply if they don't have access to the internet. But today the office decided to close, because they have too much work to do. If I had borrowed a ride or taken the very limited public transportation, I'd have been quite pissed. And I was anyway.

The woman guarding the door did say that I shouldn't expect to hear anything til sometime in January.

Meanwhile, it has come to my attention that the state's deadline for disaster unemployment was November 30, but they waited until December 2 to lay off their own agency staff. I asked the woman if this was intentional.

"Yes," she said, without hesitation.

Comments

Popular Posts