The Spare Rottweilers

A few months ago, the writer Julie Klam was in town for a booksigning and potential
material for her new book, "Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself." As I drove her and her husband Paul around town, we turned a corner onto Chartres Street in Bywater and there, several blocks away, was a rottweiler roaming the middle of the street. It seemed too ridiculous to be true, but I drove closer and we hopped out of the car to pursue him. Of course, he wanted absolutely nothing to do with Julie or I, sensing, perhaps, that we were opportunists. But he did allow Julie's husband to approach him. Still, he was slippery, and it wasn't until later in the evening that some volunteers from Dogs of the 9th Ward called saying they had him. The next day I whisked him to my vet and we began the process of getting him healthy and treating his heartworms. He's moved from being a shy, timid boy to a healthy one, but, of course, he's still looking for a home.



About a month later, driving back from teaching at Carver, I spotted another stray rottweiler--or at least I thought it was a rottie. It was hard to tell, because half her fur was missing and she was about 40 pounds underweight. As I chased her cautiously through the neighborhood, someone stopped to ask what I was doing. "Trying to get that dog," I said. "Well, she's a neighborhood dog. We all take care of her," he said. "Well," I said, "she's going to die soon." The man told me to "do what you have to do." And at about that same moment it occurred to me that this dog was too weak to outrun me. So I scooped her up as the other dogs in the neighborhood looked quizzically on. (HER? they seemed to be asking.) Louisa is now full weight and heartworm free, and like Paul, still looking for a home.

So if you know anyone who needs a spare rottie, email dogswhofoundme@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts