Recasting Pan's Labyrinth


Pan's Labyrinth
Originally uploaded by kfoz.
Last night I went to see Pan's Labyrinth, which was really amazing--the best film that I've seen in a long time. It is really dark and nightmarish, and has stuck in my imagination long after getting home. So, of course, I've decided to recast it with my dogs:

Brando as Pan, the faun
Sula as Ofelia, the young orphan girl with an overactive imagination
and Zephyr as Mercedes, the servant of two opposing masters

I've also managed to catch Children of Men and The Painted Veil, both of which were also excellent. Far better than most of the movies that are getting award attention. The Painted Veil was partcularly surprsing in this way, because I saw it by default and might have otherwise missed it. The lead characters are completely unsympathetic, and the scenes are all underplayed, so by the end it was unexpected to discover I actually cared about what happened to them.

Comments

KLCtheBookWorm said…
Hi, I started reading your blog when it was linked about the Silence is Violence march. I live in Hammond on the Northshore, and didn't think this movie was coming anywhere near us. Where did you see it?!
Ken Foster said…
Unbelievably, it is playing at four theaters in New Orleans.

Popular Posts