Most readers respond more like this...

Since I posted the crazy email from Brian Pederson (if that's even his name), I thought I'd post some of the more typical email I've received. Except there's too much to choose from. So here are just a few samples:

I am an owner of a rescued pit bull. A friend found Lily running across a busy street and knew we were thinking of getting a dog and told us how sweet this little dog was. My husband and I met Lily and fell in love with her when she crawled into our laps. We had NO idea she was a Pit Bull until we brought her to the vet. By then we were already in love. The bad news was that Lily had heartworms. Four months and many hundred dollars later Lily was finally healthy. This was one and a half years ago and Lily is the best things in our lives. Even people who have their own dogs cannot resist sweet Lily. By the way, she likes Harry Potter and is actually named after Harry's mother. I am very happy to hear some positive talk about Pit Bulls. They are very misunderstood and I totally agree that it is bad owners not bad dogs. Please keep putting out the message.

When you said in your interview that Brando was your "soulmate," I have to admit that I KNEW (ok, it was a strong hunch) that Brando was a pit bull/pit-x. They have that affect . . .

I just wanted to let you know that I loved your book "The Dogs Who Found Me". It was an engaging book that served as a wonderful reminder that we can all do more to help the animals of the world. Also, as the proud owner of two wonderful pit bulls, I appreciated the good press. Both of mine are rescues from "doggy death row" at local dog pounds. My female, Roxanne, was a bait dog and our male, Dozer, was found tied to an abandoned building. They are the loves of my life.

My dog-loving mom was so moved when she heard you on Terry Gross that it became my mission to find your book for her birthday this weekend. I wanted you to know that I started with my independent bookstores and worked my way up to the chain stores, none of which can keep the book in stock. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can find it in the 'burbs because you are huge in Berkeley.

Hi Ken - I just finished the book - I actually heard part of the interview on Fresh Air. I was moved by your stories. I'm a volunteer at the Oakland Animal Shelter here in Oakland CA and of course, we have a majority of pit bulls. They have made me love them. I have had the privilege of fostering one for two months (after he had lived in the shelter for 6 months of his young life) and was able to find him a great family for him. Your book made me cry at times and feel anxious but in the end, it made me want to do more.

Your book broke my heart, but gave me the courage to go sign up to help at our local shelter. I got my first dog two years ago. (three months after Opus we got Milo Bloom) two basenjis that wormed their way into my heart. How did I become the kind of dog person I used to mock? I am terrified to work at a shelter where they kill animals, but figure if I don't try and help socialize these guys, they might not get adopted. Until I got a dog, I didn't really notice how poorly they get treated. I have six crates at home. Two for the car, two for bedtime, and two in the basement in case of a tornado! Oy vey!

Twice a day I drive Scarlet, our rescue pit bull to a park here in Lancaster where there is no leash law. On the way home last evening I heard part of your interview with Terri Gross. I was riveted and played the entire segment when I got home for my husband. We looked at each other in disbelief when you started defending our favorite breed...the pit bull. Over the years we've had three... Spot, Lucky and Madonna. All were beautiful to look at and incredibly sweet. Still, people were afraid of them...Thank you for writing about the world's best creatures.


I just wanted to say a massive thank you for your book, which I bought a week ago and couldn't put down. I am the profoundly lucky best-friend of a pit mix named Raleigh who came into my life after a year and a half of abuse and she has changed everything for me. I have always been a dog person, and can't imagine not having one, but when I heard you call Brando your soul-mate on Fresh Air, I laughed out loud and thanked God that I wasn't the only wierd-o that felt that way about my dog.

Comments

Popular Posts