Saturday, August 27, 2005

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

So there's this massive hurricane headed straight for my house, and I have no current plans to leave. All of my friends say to just wait it out, deal with the inconvenience of no electricity for a few days, and enjoy the excitement of it. Meanwhile, everyone else seems to be leaving the city.

Here's my dillema: I barely have enough money to fill my tank. The last evacuation had people stuck on the highway for 23 hours--and I'm not sure I want to experience the storm from the inside of a van. I could drive my three dogs to Hattiesburg, where there will be severe weather as well, or Tallahassee, where there won't, but then I would be there with my frantic dogs, no money, and the prospect of having to figure out how and when to return.

On the other hand, here's the latest from the Times-Picayune:

"National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield said Saturday afternoon that Hurricane Katrina will be at least a Category 4, with winds of 145 mph when it approaches the New Orleans area, and that it could be a Category 5, with winds of 155 mph or higher.

Meanwhile, computer model runs conducted by a team of Louisiana State University scientists indicate that even if Katrina had winds of only 115 mph, levees protecting Kenner, Metairie and New Orleans on the east bank will be overtopped by a 10- to 12-foot storm surge, topped by waves at least half that high, in some locations along Lake Pontchartrain. "

I'd hate for this to be one of my final posts...ever.

Any advice out there?

7 comments:

case said...

As the night goes on, I say bolt. No need for a hatchet.

j said...

Looks like the mayor just made the decision for you.

Crystal said...

The excitement doesn't last long. You really have to consider your elevation, your area's susceptibility to flooding and whether the place you're staying at is well-built. In New Orleans, it seems like the first two are reason enough to leave. Most places still have no power here in Ft. Lauderdale because of Katrina and it'll take a really long time to get it back with a storm that size. Maybe check with your neighbors and see what they're doing. If it looks like you'll be stuck on the road, then forget it and either wait it out at home or at a friend's or a shelter. Most pet shelters are pre-registration only so you'd already know about them if it was an option. I guess you wouldn't want to seperate from them though. If you can leave, don't worry so much about getting back because you probably won't even be able to make it back for over a week and having no light and no a/c gets tiring quick.

Dave said...

One day it’s fine, the next it’s black….

I say go, no need to risk it. Stay safe.

Betsy said...

Yeah, I think you should go... I can loan you the money for a tank of gas...

You Don't Know Me said...

Leave. Take the dogs and your computer and leave. Go to Tally where I'm sure there's somewhere there to put you up. Let us know if you're really in need of money. And post again when you're safe!

Linda said...

GET OUT!!!! Don't be one of those knuckleheads who thinks he can beat Mother Nature. You can't. The road to HELL is paved with a whole theme park full of idiots who thought the same thing.Hence why they aren't in Heaven. God has no patience for STUPIDITY.