Today is National Pit Bull Awareness Day...

and I've been so aware of pit bulls lately that I almost didn't do anything for today. But then I wrote an editorial for the Times-Picayune, which appears today. It addresses some of the complex issues regarding the Boudreaux dogfighting case, which was dismissed by a judge last week, over three years after a bust that resulted in all of their dogs--over fifty pit bulls--being euthanized.

But, of course, the case is far more complicated than can be expressed in a 600 word editorial, and one of the things that fascinates me is that I find myself questioning each side of the case. A few other things that I couldn't fit in:

1. One of my friends owns a Boudreaux dog named Cornbread. He's fourteen years old and we just photographed him in the corner booth of a popular diner for our calendar.
2. Part of the evidence in this case involved dogfighting paraphernalia. If someone raided my home, they would find many of these same items: a break stick (packed away in a box somewhere); dogfighting literature (for research, really!); canine medical supplies; and even a pit bull who appears to have scarring on her face.
3. The Boudreaux family attended my pit bull friendly publication party last year--but never identified themselves to me.

Comments

Popular Posts